Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend.... What a Weekend!

As some of you may know, I work in IT. I support most of the east coast for our company. What that means is that I am on call 24/7 for the most part. I get calls and emails all weekend long. Some I have to respond to right away, most can wait til my next work day.

This weekend I end up going to my office twice for things that need to be taken care of. Not a big deal because I get paid extra for doing so, but one call happened to come in halfway through my long run on Saturday. In the middle of a 14 mile run, I get a call that I need to go into the office, which is 35 miles away, and let a service tech into the building. I'm still running as I tell the caller that he will need to give me at least an hour and a half before I can get there.  I'm still not sure if they were blown away by the fact that I answered my phone in the middle of a run or the fact that I was running 14 miles....

I ended up cutting it short so I could get there on time. Hopped in my car and headed to work....  you can tell by my pace (after mile 7) that I was rushing to get back.

A bit faster, but all over the place....

---

Monday, Labor Day, I got to run the Charlton Old Home Day 5 Mile Road race. 

Look at my low number!!!!!


This is my third year running this race. Now I want to point out that this year, surprisingly, I PRd. Now, I'm surprised because I didn't think I could get any faster in this 5 miler. This is a VERY hilly and challenging race. I was basically running on fumes towards the end....

Here are my times and place from the past two years:

2011

2012


Now this year (new Timing Company)

Still didn't place or win any awards, but I got 3 mins faster than my first year running this race. That alone is better than any award!... Next year I move up to a new age group (40-49). Now that will be interesting!

--

This week I'm going to take a bit easy. My IT bands are acting up and now my left ankle feels achy. I plan or running 5-6 miles only on Wednesday or Thursday. Saturday I'm running Canal Diggers 5k. This is also the 3rd year I'm running this race and it also happens to be my 5k PR (20:33). The day after I have to run a 21 miler as part of my training. I'm still unsure if I want to go all out and try to beat my PR or if I should take it easy and run with my my wife who is also running this race for her first time.

Decision, decision..... Guess I'll decide this on race day....


Race season is in full effect..... what is your next race???!

--

That is all for now.... hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend and a great week ahead of you!










5 comments:

Bill Fine said...

too fast.....WOW!!!!

Nicole said...

Nice!

I have two races this weekend. 5k on Saturday and the run portion of the FirmMan in Narragansett. I am doing it as a relay. Kind of nervous.

Char said...

That's a bit rude to call you in the middle of your run. I wouldn't have my phone with me - not good if I have an accident but no one can ever interrupt me.

Congrats on your great time. You're whittling down that time year after year.

The Unexpected Runner said...

Hey, at least you got your run in! I'm trying to switch from triathlon mentality to marathon mentality...next up Wineglass marathon :)

Beth said...

Great Job on loosing those 3 minutes!!! Sounds like a good weekend and I'm impressed answering a call in the middle of a run!!