Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Canal Diggers 5k


What an awesome time this race was! Between walkers and runners, there were over 1400 participants. This has got to be the largest 5k I have ever ran. My goal was to beat my last years time (21:04), also my 5k PR. My mind was set to hit it hard right from the get go. I even lined up with the 6min-mile pacers. It was less crowded there anyways. I figured I could at least get a good lead. 

Race started at 11am. It was about 80 degrees, sunny and humid. It was a hot one! They had time clocks at every mile which was cool. At mile 1, I was feeling good. Mile 2, I was starting to feel it. At 2.5, I was spent. But at that point I had secured my spot. I just needed to hold on and finish. I crossed the finish line at 20:33 - 31 seconds faster than last year!! And a new PR!!


Woot, Woot!!

I was excited and thrilled with the time! I quickly headed for the water bottles they were passing out before I passed out! For the first time in my short running career, I actually felt nauseous after the race. I really pushed myself hard on this one. I got nervous after taking my first gulp of water. I thought it was going to come right up. I walked away from the crowds just in case, but after a few deep breaths, I was good.

After the race they have a huge cookout and all the free beer you can drink for all the runners.
Don't mind if I do....


Huge turn out for this race!!
That girl just gave me the evil eye.... LOL

Oh yeah, and the Medal:

They pass out a very unique finisher medal for this 5k. This will come in handy :)

-

Early night for me. I have an 18 miler lined up for first thing in the morning. I'm hoping to be out the door before 6am.

Have a great weekend!




6 comments:

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

GREAT job, and good luck tomorrow!

Char said...

Well done. You know you've given it everything when you want to blow chunks at the end.

Great medal!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Awesome race and congrats on the PR! I had to laugh at how you felt during the race - it's like every 5K Ive ever ran ... I HATE THEM!!! Usually the only mile I feel good is the first ... and you're dying by the next two. But you killed it - great job!!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Awesome!!!!!! Congratulations!

Bill Fine said...

ran that race back in 2008...of course, not NEARLY as fast as you! Great job, Jose!

Michelle said...

Congrats on a great race and PR!!

Looks like a fun 5k - where was it located?