Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Confession Sunday

Confession #1... I am a man that is always looking for a new challenge, that next big thing, that new "something". I need to have a goal to shoot for. I need that something to give me that drive I need to give it my all.

I never knew what this next something was until recently.

Don't get me wrong, I have many goals. Most of them are small, but important to me none the less. I plan on doing another marathon, but that's a given. After my last one, I wanted to sign up for another right away!! But my body told me otherwise. I can wait 'til next year. I'll be ready then.

Past couple of weeks I have read some awesome post by some of you bloggers recapping your tri experiences (Michael at Slowly Try-ing, Smacedo at A Runner's Ramblings, and even the beer loving Jamoosh at Last Mile Lounge). I loved reading about the emotions you guys go through during these races. I can almost put myself in your shoes and feel the excitement!! It gives me the chills.

My town plays host to at least 3 triathlons a year. Webster Lake Triathlon (men & women), Sherox (women only) and Daskin (women only). They usually consist of a .5 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and a 5k run. Today I caught the ladies in the Danskin Triathlon series. It was awesome to watch these ladies give it their all! The crowd support was there for them too. These races are usually a big deal in this town.

So, it got me thinking... I think found my "something"!

But,....there is a monkey wrench in these plans.....

Confession #2... I am a 38 year old man that never learned how to swim. I can doggy paddle and maybe do the breast stroke for a couple yards, but no real swimming here to literally, save my life. What to do now? This is where the next challenge comes in....


Webster Lake Triathlon is no 70.3. Thank the stars for this. All I have to do, is get by a half a mile swim. I have a year to learn how to swim and build up the strength and endurance. It's going to be crazy. But  I think, I believe that I can do it.

This will be my long term goal. I know that it seems way out there, but this is what I need. I need a goal to shoot for. I need something to keep me going.

Confession #3... It's been a long day. I'm tired, I'm going to bed.


--
Have a great week everyone!!

4 comments:

Bill Fine said...

Jose, I have no doubts that when you set your mind on doing a tri, you'll not only do it, you'll KILL it! GO FOR IT!!!!

Char said...

You can do it - learn to swim, that is. And then you'll be able to fulfil that next goal. It's going to be interesting reading about your experiences.

K said...

Best thing I ever did, took swim lessons and then joined the local master's class. Do it. You will love it!

smacedo said...

!!YAY!! I agree with K, find an adult swim lesson to get the basics and then join a master's program. You are going to love it!